In April 2021, Apple has announced an iOS update that allows us to connect Sony’s PS5 DualSense and Microsoft’s Xbox Wireless controllers to our Apple devices. This means that we can now connect our Xbox and PS5 controllers to Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, and MacBook without the need of purchasing an MFi-compatible controller.
Once your device is on the latest iOS of 14.5 or 14.5 for tvOS you can go ahead to the App Store and download a game that is compatible with your controller. Next, you will need to connect your Apple device to the controller.
Which wireless controllers are supported
- Xbox Wireless Controller with Bluetooth (Model 1708)
- Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2
- Xbox Adaptive Controller
- Xbox Wireless Controller Series S and Series X
- PlayStation DualShock 4 Wireless Controller
- PlayStation 5 DualSense Wireless Controller
- Other MFi (Made for iOS) Bluetooth controllers
The steps bellow should work with most wireless controllers.
How to turn on discovery mode on your controllers
1. On your charged PS5 controller, hold down the PlayStation and the Share buttons for a few seconds until the lights around the touchpad flash
1. On your charged Xbox controller hold down the Xbox button to turn it on
2. Then hold down the Pair button until the Xbox logo blinks
How to connect the controller to your Mac
1. Open Bluetooth settings on the MacBook by going into system preferences
2. Make sure Bluetooth is turned on
3. Turn on discovery mode on your controller (steps on how to do that are above)
6. Then check if your controller has been discovered in your Bluetooth settings and click connect
How to connect your Controller to Apple TV
1. On Apple TV go to Settings
2. Select Remotes and Devices
3. Select Other Devices
4. Click on Bluetooth
5. When you are there, grab your controller and set it into discovery mode (steps for turning discovery are above)
6. Then select the controller you want to use on your Apple TV and you should now be connected
Congratulations on successfully setting up your controller. You should now be able to launch compatible games and use your Xbox or PS5 controller without any issues on your, 14.5 or later, Apple devices. Have Fun!